Monday 12 August 2013

Quinoa salad with gorgonzola and burnt-garlic vinaigrette

I've had the strangest few weeks in ways that I can't even begin to explain. I haven't been cooking much, as attention has been focused inwards. I think in time I will appreciate that this was an important period for me, my personal development, yet I have no idea why yet. I have the oddest sensation that something is shifting inside me, yet I have no clue as to what end. I've been given this book to help with the process and it's unputdownable (I think I just made that word up), both frustrating and mind-blowing. In the midst of all this inner turmoil, I managed to make this lovely quinoa salad with blue cheese, broccoli and burnt garlic vinaigrette. The garlic isn't actually burnt, it's just browned to turn it crispy and give it that smokey flavour you sometimes find in Asian food, and I feel compliments the quinoa. Basically, heat the oil in a frying pan and when it's hot, throw in the chopped garlic. Fry for 1 min, stirring, then turn the heat off and allow it to carry on browning for a minute longer, then place it on some paper, to remove excess oil, and add it to the vinaigrette (I always use a jar). The salad turned out surprisingly well, which I've decided to take as a good omen, a sign that I'm heading in the right direction...
Ingredients

Quinoa, cooked
Tin of mixed beans, drained
Broccoli, steamed
Gorgonzola, cubed
Red pepper, chopped

Vinaigrette

Juice of 1 lemon
Garlic, browned as described
Olive oil
Garlic salt 
Black pepper
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard

3 comments:

  1. If this dish IS a sign of where your life is going, I can only think it's going to be TASTY! (and hearty... and heart-felt!)
    Love the look of this meal, it's actually got me salivating... as a veggie, I'm always looking for new ways to keep my diet exciting - so thanks for this! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gema! Love the little piccie - well cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zuza. Came across this and though you might find it interesting http://www.saladpride.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete