Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Still going with those bento lunches

What I'm learning about bento is that it's not so much about what you put in it, as about finding the best packing solution. It's in the actual act of packing that you get to be creative. This is a new way of thinking for me, as I always considered packing to be a boring necessity. In terms of what goes in - it's up to you and it certainly does not need to be Japanese. As long as there is a balance of carbohydrate, vegetable and protein, then you're all set. This is a bento lunch I made with these sweet potato patties,  marinated peppers and cous cous, mixed with a bit of butter and chopped anchovies for protein and that extra punch of flavour. To finish, I sprinkled some savoury seed mix on top, to add crunch and aesthetic appeal (I'm not sure how aesthetically appealing my bentos are, but they look a lot nicer than my lunches and leftovers used to look, so that's a small success)
Couscous has to be just about my favourite bento ingredient - it takes all of 3min to cook and is a blank canvas you can add almost anything to -  but by using it all the time I may be getting in a bento rut. Note to self: must use other grains in future bentos

No comments:

Post a Comment