Wednesday 27 June 2012

Spring Greens with bacon aka Polish-style

I know, I know it's Summer now, but Spring Greens are still in season in June and I don't want you to miss out on this recipe. In Poland, we make this with young, leafy cabbage in the springtime, which gives it a sweeter flavour, whereas the Spring greens make it sharper, more grown up. And this is no bad thing
Ingredients

Spring Greens (as above), chopped
Vegetable oil – 4 tablespoons
2 large onions, chopped
Aprox 200g. Streaky bacon, cut into bits
2 bunches Dill
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp sugar
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

I don't know why being grown up has such boring connotations now. When I was little, all I wanted was to be an adult, it seemed like they had all the fun. Yet I couldn't last 10min in the smoke-filled room (everyone smoked in Poland in those days) and couldn't properly join in the fun conversations. And now here I am, being grown up, in a good way. Fry the bacon until crispy and add the onion. Add the Spring Greens, some water and continue cooking under a lid for about 10min. Add the lemon juice, dill and season. Continue frying for another 10min. Add more dill at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment